These are my most basic travel essentials when I stay away for a week or less without any special plans for parties or nights out:
· Foundation: 2 mini-size foundation samples – since one wouldn’t be enough anyway I take 2 in two different shades so then I can mix them and adjust them to my skin tone
(I find that the samples sales assistants give you are very rarely in the right shade for you, so I always end up mixing a few together anyway! If the texture and finish of the foundations are completely wrong for your skin type, for example moisturizing and dewy with an oily skin, or mattifying with a very dry skin, that’s more difficult to fix, and in that case I just give the sample to a friend who can get a use out of it)
· Concealer: for me Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer works great both under the eyes and on blemishes, so I just take one product for both purposes
· Blush/Bronzer: Essence Sun Club All Over Shimmer for Eyes, Face and Body is one of my favourite products EVER! I have it in the shade Blondes - 01 Ibiza Sun, while there’s also a darker shade for brunettes available. It looks very similar to the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick – PLUS THAT PINK STRIPE!! - at a fraction of the price (around 4 euro versus 38 dollars).
It is super-pigmented that just a light touch of the brush will do, and I use it all over my cheeks. Since I got it about 5 months ago, I have used it pretty much every day, and still barely dented it.
And being so inexpensive for 11 grams it really is a wonder must-have product! LOVE IT!!
· Mascara base: I know this might not sound like an essential, but since I first tried Helena Rubinstein 00 White, I can’t wear mascara alone anymore. To me, there is no such thing as “too much mascara”. The “natural look” for lashes are bare lashes with no eye make up at all (since there is also no such thing as eye make up without mascara, right??!). When there’s mascara, it can only be full-on and dramatic.
I have also tried the Guerlain Supercils Base/Primer, but haven’t liked it as much. Does anybody have suggestions for other mascara bases?
· Mascara: Dior makes great mascaras, and this mini Diorshow is perfect for travelling
· Eyeshadows: the NYX Smokey Look Kit is pure genius! You can’t beat 9 eyeshadows + 2 lipglosses + A MIRROR! in a super cute cube smaller than the palm of a hand! It also contained a 2-sided mini sponge applicator for the eyeshadows and a 2-sided mini lip brush, but I took them out because being on the go they would only come in the way, and I would use other brushes anyway.
The eyeshadows aren’t the longest lasting unless a primer is applied first, but are well pigmented and blend very smoothly. And the price is only 11 dollars!
· Eye pencil: black Pupa True Kohl 01, a product I’ve had since forever and never felt the need to look for another
· Eyebrow gel: there’s no need to spend a fortune on an eyebrow gel, so why look further than Kiko Eyebrow Designer?!
· Lipstick/Lipgloss: again, nothing other than the NYX Smokey Look Kit! The peachy shade is more opaque, while the rosy shade is sheerer, and they both give a very sweet looking touch to your lips.
I hope this was helpful to someone who is about to pack up and go on holiday! Or on a work trip! I always love reading other girls’ organization tips myself :-)